Original recipe of the week: Dark chocolate olive bonbonsCultureFood & DrinksInterviews & Recipes
Not everyone likes olives: they are a bit like Marmite, you either love them or you hate them. Although considered to be high in fat, their natural goodness can do wonders for your health.
We have the perfect health-boosting snack, as well as dinner party nibble for you this week.
Dark chocolate-coated green olives might sound a bit weird, but once you’ve tasted them we can assure you that you will fall in-love. Salty and rich, crunchy and soft, they will keep you coming back for more with their moorish taste sensation. Perfect for any dinner party or a simple treat to help you get through the day.
Preparation time: under 5 minutes
Chill time: 2 hours
Serves 3 (as a nibble)
What you will need:
100g dark chocolate
150g pitted plain green olives
50g drinking chocolate
What you need to do:
- Put the drinking chocolate into a shallow dish and gently melt the chocolate over a bain-marie until smooth.
- Place your olives (bottom down) on to cocktail sticks.
- Next, coat the olive in the chocolate by twirling it in a circular motion to ensure it is entirely covered.
- Roll the chocolate-coated olive in the drinking chocolate and lay down to set.
- Repeat this motion with all of your olives. Once you are finished, place in the fridge to cool… and enjoy.
You don’t have to stop at drinking chocolate as a sweet coating; you can try anything you want. Chilli flakes also work really well to give the olive a yummy bite.