Original recipe of the week: Amaretto Hot ChocolateCultureFood & DrinksInterviews & Recipes
What better way is there to warm your cockles on a chilly winter’s day than with a big mug of delicious and irresistible hot chocolate? Not only is this hot chocolate recipe laden with booze – not for the kids – but it is also made using almond milk to maximise the luxurious texture and flavour.
Best enjoyed at brunch with a waffle or too, and perfect for the snowy weekend we have ahead of us!
Amaretto Hot Chocolate
Cooking time: 5-10 minutes
500ml almond milk
2 tbsp Horlicks
2 tbsp good quality cocoa powder
2 tbsp drinking chocolate
1 tbsp demerara sugar
3 shots of Amaretto liqueur
1 tsp water to make a corn flour mixture to thicken
3 squares of 70% cocoa dark chocolate (grated)
3 drops of vanilla extract
What you need to do:
- Place the almond milk into a saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Next, add in all of the powered ingredients and give it a mix.
- Turn down the heat and leave to simmer for 5 minutes or so, and gradually add in the grated chocolate and sugar, mixing as you go.
- When dissolved, add in the Amaretto, vanilla extract and corn flour mixture, and combine.
- When the mixture has thickened slightly, you’re ready to serve.