Original recipe of the week: Banana bread barsCultureFood & DrinksInterviews & Recipes
Your cheeky monkeys won’t be able to resist these yummy bars of goodness. Packed with all things healthy, they are the perfect treat for your little ones as well as for you.
The combination of the sweet banana, earthy oats and crunchy walnuts give these bars a great texture – solid enough to hold, soft enough to scoff!
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
What you will need:
2 ripe bananas, chopped
100g rolled oats
50g self-raising flour
1 tbsp milk
3 tbsp vegetable oil
80g chopped walnuts
4 tbsp golden syrup
Juice of ½ lemon
½ tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground ginger
What you need to do:
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C and line a baking sheet with greaseproof paper.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, sugar, cinnamon, ginger, walnuts and oats.
- Next add in the oil, milk, eggs and lemon and mix thoroughly.
- Lastly, add in the banana and mix again. The mixture should be quite dry now – if not, add a few more oats.
- Turn out the mix onto the baking sheet and flatten, then place in the oven for 15 minutes or until golden.
- Remove and allow to cool before cutting into bars.