Original recipe of the week: Parmesan Thyme Courgette FriesChristmas 2013CultureFood & DrinksInterviews & Recipes
The normal Christmas meal can get really boring. Carrots, fries, spuds, Brussel sprouts – why not try something a little different this Christmas and use a vegetable not usually invited to the Christmas table – the courgette. Cousin of the cucumber, this fresh green vegetable works well with all meats and in a variety of combinations. Try this recipe as an alternative to honey roasted parsnips or butter smashed swede.
Parmesan Thyme Courgette Fries
Serves: 3-4 Prep and cooking time: 20 minutes
What you need:
3 medium courgettes, cut into equal sizes lengthways
80g freshly grated parmesan
80g plain flour
1 pinch of black pepper
1 pinch of rock salt
½ handful of chopped lemon thyme leaves
What you need to do:
- Pre-heat the oven to 230°C / fan 210°C / gas mark 8 and line a casserole dish with oil and place in the oven.
- Prepare to fill three bowls – one with the flour, one with the beaten eggs and one with the parmesan, thyme leaves and salt and pepper mixed together
- One by one place each courgette stick into the flour, then the egg mixture and then the parmesan mixture – ensure the courgette sticks are fully immersed in the ‘batter’ mixture
- Remove the dish from the oven and place in the floured courgettes
- Cook in the oven for 15 -20 minutes or until golden brown and crispy
Note: These can be made 20 minutes ahead of the roast potatoes – easy as pie!