Original recipe of the week: Bubble and SqueakCultureFood & DrinksInterviews & Recipes
Stuck with a fridge full of leftover vegetables but can’t stand to make the bog standard bubble and squeak? We’ve got the perfect recipe to add a zing to your cold sprouts, leaving you plenty of time to kick back and relax with your loved ones.
Serves: 4 (depending on leftover amount)
Prep/cook time: 40 minutes
All the leftover vegetables you have
2 leeks (chopped finely)
1 white onion (diced)
4 cloves of garlic (chopped)
2 tbsp plain flour
1 handful of parsley (chopped)
4 tbsp chilli oil
1 tbsp fennel seeds
2 tbsp ground black pepper
1 tbsp salt
1 knob of butter
The juice of 1 lemon
What you need to do:
1. Pre-heat your oven to 220°C / fan 200°C / gas mark 7 and put half of the oil and the butter into a frying pan to melt.
2. Once melted add in the leeks, onion and garlic. Fry for a couple of minutes and then add the fennel seeds. Give this a stir and leave on a medium heat to sweat down.
3. While that is cooking, add the leftover vegetables into a large bowl. Mash the vegetables together with a fork and then add in the egg, flour, salt, pepper, lemon and parsley. Give this a really good mix together.
4. By now the onion mix should be really cooked down. Turn up the heat, add in a little more oil and start to add in the vegetable mix gradually. Leave this to fry, stirring occasionally to loosen from the bottom of the pan.
5. Remove from the heat after 10-15 minutes and transfer into a baking dish. Spread out and top with a little more oil before putting into the oven.
6. When golden and crispy remove from the oven. Leave to cool slightly before enjoying with cold meats of your choice.