Three easy party hairstylesFashion & LifestyleBeauty
We spoke to Andrew Jose, award winning celebrity hairdresser and brand ambassador for Salon Science, to recreate three easy yet show-stopping hairstyles that are guaranteed to see you through party season.
1. Low-pro pony
Relaxed, low profile ponies are chic and effortless.
- Part hair in the centre, apply Salon Science Reglosse Smoothing Serum to the palms of your hands, rub hands together and smooth through the ends of the hair to take away any frizz.
- Simply add a little back comb at the crown to give volume at the root, making the perfect shape to slick in to a pony
- Pull a hair band on to your right wrist (if you’re right handed)
- Gather hair in to a loose pony at the nape of the neck, pull the band from your wrist and secure around the base of your ponytail
- Pull a few loose messy strands out at the front to frame the face
- Add some detail by plaiting a small section of the pony and wrap it around the band, fixing with a bobby pin.
Tip: hair jewellery is a big trend for winter – glam up a pony tail with a gold cuff for on-trend metallic glamour
2. Get knotted
The holy grail of all time comes in the form of the humble top knot.
- Tilt head upside down and apply Salon Science Volumising Foam directly to roots with your finger tips – then blast roots with a hairdryer for extra oomph
- If you have time, tong hair all over for added texture and volume
- Put hair band on your right wrist (if right-handed)
- Tilt head forward and gather hair roughly into a pony tail at the crown or at the top of head – placement is key
- Pull the hair band from your wrist and start to secure the ponytail
- Instead of pulling the hair all the way through at the end, leave a loop of hair
- Split the loop into two parts and pin hair around the base (in a round bun shape) for a messy effortless top knot
Tip: the key to the top knot is looking effortless and undone so don’t worry about making it too perfect.
3. Hot hun
One of this season’s biggest hair trends, the half up “hun” is a sneaky way of making a lazy hairstyle look cool and effortless.
- Spritz Salon Science Reprotectant Thermal Crème over damp hair
- Section hair from the nape of the neck, and using a big ceramic barrelled brush, give hair a smooth blow dry all over but try not to make hair too “straight”
- Tong hair all over for added texture and volume (not necessary if you are low on time)
- Flip hair upside down and add dry shampoo at the root for texture. Roughing it up with your fingertips (Lee Stafford dry shampoo is great) then backcomb the crown section using a soft bristled brush
- Fix hair in to a centre parting for a more demure look
- Using thumbs and palms, pull the top half of your hair back into a half ponytail from about an inch above the ears, leaving most of your lengths free
- Secure the half-up pony with a clear snag-free band
- Pull hair loosely out at the crown to create more volume
- Gently backcomb the half ponytail and wrap it around the base of the hair band into a loose bun shape. Pin into place
Tip: wear it high and sleek or low and undone.
Always carry an emergency fix kit; a couple of bobby pins, a small backcombing brush and a handbag-sized hairspray is essential!