Beauty basics: How to get the classic Pin-Up look
If you have always admired classic pin-up icons like Dita Von Teese and Marilyn Monroe but don’t know how to get the look, then this make-up tutorial will salvage all your problems.
What you need most is oodles of attitude and confidence, and then there is no stopping you from being a complete showstopper. But first remember to bring out a black glam wig if you want to have some fun, and a knockout 1940s inspired dress.
- First sweep some vanilla coloured eyeshadow on your lids. You can try the Mac line or Maybelline New York ExpertWear eyeshadow singles in Vanilla. Blend a neutral, warm taupe-coloured shadow on the eye creases. You can try Wet ‘n’ Wild Mega eyeshadow pot in Naked, £1.30.
- Line your eyes using black liquid or gel eyeliner (try Maybelline gel eyeliner for £7.99) and a fine-tip liner brush. Make sure to extend the line just past the creases of your eyes for that sweeping eyes look. Applying eyeliner is tricky, so make sure you have steady hands and take some deep breaths. Brush gently the taupe colour eyeshadow on your creases along your lower lash lines with an angled liner brush.
- Think Pin-Up look and immediately you are reminded of dramatic eyebrows. To get a similar effect, fill in your brows with a matte powder shadow; remember to use a shade or two darker than your own brows using an angled liner brush. Try Youngblood’s Black Opal for £14.
- Now, to apply the false lashes, use a half-lash style or simply cut the outer half off of a full lash strip. Apply glue to the lashes, let it dry for a minute, and then press it onto the outer side of your lash lines. Try Mac 20 Lash £ 7.18. Apply mascara bring out those false lashes.
- For those lovely rosy cheeks, sweep a true, powdery-pink blush on the apples of your cheek. Try Mac’s Pink Swoon £ 17.50.
- The look is complete with voluptuous red lips: line lips with red pencil and blend the liner into the rest of your lips using a lip brush. Then apply a perfectly matched red lipstick using the same lip brush. Try Mac lip pencil in Cherry £ 8.16 and Mac lipstick in Russian red £ 9.14.
- If you are opting for Dita Von Teese’s look throw in a black wig and make the tiniest dot with the black eyeliner below your eye near the temple. If Marilyn Monroe is your inspiration, use a blonde wig and make a beauty mark using black eyeliner above your lips.