Original recipe of the week: Easter joy
Easter is full of customs and traditions, but let’s not forget the one thing that really matters at this time of year – it begins with a C… and yes, you know me well; my main concern is chocolate.
Chocolate eggs, treats and cakes in all shapes and sizes have been used for years to celebrate Christ rising from the grave in a feast of all things treat worthy. Although Simnel cake is a more traditional option, chocolate cake can also make your celebrations go with a bang; slap in a bit of cheesecake too and you’re on to a winner!
Dark chocolate brownie celebration cheesecake
You will need:
200g self-raising flour
50ml sunflower oil
½tsp bicarbonate of soda
1tbsp champagne vinegar
150g cocoa powder
100g dark chocolate chunks
150g caster sugar
1tsp vanilla extract
300g cream cheese
½tsp vanilla extract
100g caster sugar
Springform cake tin
- Firstly, grease your cake tin and preheat the oven to 200c.
- Combine all of your dry brownie mix ingredients together and stir until incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the wet ingredients: water, oil, vanilla and egg.
- Now add the wet to the dry, a bit at a time stirring continuously until you have a slightly firm, but well mixed batter and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the cream cheese, egg, vanilla and caster sugar until smooth and glossy. Make sure you don’t over whisk as this can cause it to split. When mixed you can start the assembly…
- Add alternate blobs of the two cake mixes to your cake tin until you have none left.
- Place in the oven for around 30 minutes or until the cake is no longer wobbly.
- Allow to cool thoroughly before decorating with your craziest Easter decorations. Happy Easter!