Original recipe of the week: Lavender meringues
The perfect light summer dessert with a delicate flower flavour – suitable for all the family. We doubt you will really want something heavy in such hot weather so we thought we would give you a recipe for a tasty, light, summery treat that’s easy on the stomach too (psst… and easy to make). Pair with fresh fruit and lashings of cream to add a real indulgent touch – we love ours with a bit of chocolate.
Prep time/Cook time: 2 hours
What you will need:
4 egg whites
200g icing sugar
3 tbs lavender syrup
2 drips of purple food colouring
100g crush pistachios
Key equipement: electric mixer
What you need to do:
1. Pre-heat the oven to 150C. Next make sure you have a completely grease-free bowl and place you egg white into it. Now you can start up your electric mixer.
2. Place the shafts in the egg whites and start to whisk. Once the egg whites have started to froth you can add in the lavender syrup and also start to add in the icing sugar one tablespoon at a time (but make sure you continue to mix).
3. Once you have used up all of the icing sugar, the egg whites should start to thicken When they become glossy turn off the whisk and remove. Now you can stir in the purple food colouring (but not fully so that you get a nice swirl).
4. Once swirled transfer onto a lined baking sheet in portions of 2 tablespoons each spread equally apart.
5. Bake in the oven for 45 mins then top with crushed pistachios and bake for a further 45 mins (or until browned slightly) and serve – easy as pie (that’s next week folks …).