Original recipe of the week: Baked Eggs and Parma Ham
As we all know, breakfast can be a very rushed affair during the week – if you’re lucky, it’s a quick bowl of cereal or a slice of toast, or maybe some porridge if time is on your side. But at the weekends, it can be so nice to schedule in a bit longer to make something special that can be savoured instead of wolfed down.
So this weekend, why not try a different take on eggs, placing them in the oven instead of on the hob. This recipe for baked eggs is absolutely delicious, made with freshly cooked tomatoes and topped with parma ham for a kick of saltiness. And though it is a little time consuming, it is well worth the effort.
Baked Eggs and Parma Ham
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
What you will need:
1 tbsp olive oil
2 medium vine-ripened tomatoes
2 slices parma ham
1½ tbsp tomato paste
¼ cup water
1 small red onion
1 small clove garlic
4 sprigs fresh thyme
¼ tsp sumac (optional)
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
What you need to do:
1. Preheat the oven to 180oC.
2. Place a pan on a medium heat and heat the olive oil.
3. Add in the onions and garlic and sauté until they start to soften. Stir in the tomatoes.
4. Mix the tomato paste into the ¼ cup of water until combined and add to the pan. Season with salt and pepper and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
5. Divide the tomatoes between two oven-proof dishes, top with one slice of parma ham and break one egg into each dish.
6. Season with freshly ground pepper, topping with some sprigs of thyme, or some sumac, if desired.
7. Bake in the oven for approximately 20 minutes, until the egg whites are set and the egg yolks are done to your liking.
8. Serve with fresh bread.