Top ten best foods: Eat your way to beautiful hair this year
Winter has arrived and we are bombarded with advertisements for products that claim to stop frizz, ease our dry scalps, or add volume to our limp winter whipped locks. Products can only do so much, hair grows from within and we need to eat healthy to have strong and happy hair to stand the winter beatings our manes get. Hair grows 1/4 to 1/2 inch per month and the foundation of hair basically comes from the nutrients we put into our bodies. We have compiled a list of the top 10 best foods to eat to help our hair grow strong and healthy.
Add these foods to your diet and you’re almost guaranteed to have great healthy hair and better health all around!
1. Salmon-Loaded with omega-3 fatty acids, this high-quality protein source is also filled with vitamin B-12 and iron. Essential omega-3 fatty acids are needed to support scalp health.
2. Dark Green Vegetables– Filled with vitamins A and C, which your body needs to produce sebum. The oily substance, secreted by your hair follicles, is the body’s natural hair conditioner.
3. Beans– These provide protein to promote hair growth as well as ample iron, zinc, and biotin.
4. Nuts– Brazil nuts are one of nature’s best sources of selenium, an important mineral for the health of your scalp.Walnuts contain alpha-linolenic acid, an omega 3 fatty acid- that may help condition your hair. They are also a terrific source of zinc, as are cashews, pecans, and almonds. A zinc deficiency can lead to hair shedding, so make sure nuts are a diet regular.
5. Poultry– Without adequate protein or with low-quality protein, one can experience weak brittle hair, while a profound protein deficiency can result in loss of hair colour.
6. Eggs– Contain biotin and vitamin B-12, which are important beauty nutrients
7. Whole Grains– Hearty whole grains, including whole-wheat bread and fortified whole-grain cereals, provide a hair-healthy dose of zinc, iron, and B vitamins.
8. Oysters– Contain zinc – a powerful antioxidant.
9. Low Fat Diary Products– Low-fat dairy products like skimmed milk and yoghurt are great sources of calcium, an important mineral for hair growth. They also contain whey and casein, two high-quality protein sources.
10. Carrots– Carrots are an excellent source of vitamin A, promote a healthy scalp and are great for your vision!