Original recipe of the week: Quinoa, avocado and feta salad with pink grapefruit d ressing
This fresh, light salad combining quinoa, salty feta, creamy avocado plus a zesty pink grapefruit dressing will knock you right into next summer! It’s easy and simple to put together for a lunch or even a light supper; you can make a big bowl of this and keep it in the fridge. Quinoa is a healthy option to eating a sandwich for lunch and let’s face it, maybe slightly more interesting, if you jazz it up with some punchy dressings!
Quinoa, Avocado and Feta Salad with Pink Grapefruit Dressing
What you will need:
2 cups quinoa
1 cup feta cheese
2 avocados (diced)
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
Salt and pepper
1 red onion (finely chopped)
1 cup chickpeas
1 pink grapefruit ( juice squeezed, pips removed)
80ml extra virgin olive oil
40ml white wine vinegar
What you need to do:
1. Firstly, cook the quinoa to packet instructions. Place in a pan and cover with water and let it boil for about 15 minutes, until water is absorbed and grains are cooked.
2. Set aside and prepare the other ingredients. Add the chickpeas, avocado, crumbled feta and red onion to the bowl, and season well with salt and pepper. Give it a gentle mix so everything is evenly distributed.
3. To make the dressing, simply squeeze all the juice out of the pink grapefruit or you can also reserve some segments to add to the salad later if you wish. Place the juice in a jar or bottle, add in the olive oil and vinegar. Add the jar cap or bottle top and shake well until everything is mixed thoroughly. Taste the dressing and add more vinegar, or olive oil until you have the right amount.
4. In a small pan, place all your sunflower seeds over a medium heat and keep stirring them so they don’t burn, but gain a lovely toasty golden brown colour.
5. Plate up your salad, scatter over the sunflower seeds and drizzle over the dressing at the last moment before serving. Add the remaining pink grapefruit segments if you wish. Can be accompanied with a few salad leafs or mint.