Original recipe of the week: Mexican Beef Stew
On trend and in season, treat yourself to a stew with a twist this weekend. Succulent juicy beef in a rich stew – perfect for a night in with the family.
Mexican cuisine is massive right now, so get in the groove; packed with flavour and healthy too. You are sure to love it, even on this side of the equator!
Cooking time: 2 hours
What you will need:
400g lean diced beef
200g smoked lardons
3 carrots (chopped roughly)
1 large onion (diced)
2 garlic cloves (crushed)
2 sticks of celery (chopped)
1 tin of azuki beans
50ml beef stock
50ml red wine
1tsp chipotle paste
1tsp tomato puree
1tsp thyme leaves
5-6 squares of good quality dark chocolate
2tsp low fat natural yoghurt
Salt and pepper to taste
What you need to do:
- Pre-heat casserole dish with a little oil, and add in the onion and garlic. Continue to mix until browned.
- Now add in the lardons, carrots and celery, and leave to reduce. Once reduced and caramelised, you can add in the beef.
- Give this a mix and add in the rest of the ingredients, making sure to combine thoroughly, but don’t add in the chocolate yet.
- If you think you need to add a little water, you can do this now before placing a lid on top.
- Reduce the cooking temperature to a simmer, and leave to cook for just under 2 hours on a low heat.
- When cooked, remove from the heat. Now you can add in the chocolate and yoghurt. Mix well, letting the chocolate melt into the stew and your ready to serve.