Max Clifford pleads not guilty to indecent assault charges
PR consultant Max Clifford on Tuesday pleaded not guilty to 11 counts of indecent assault against seven girls aged between 14 and 19 that allegedly took place over the 1960s, 70s and 80s.
Clifford, regarded as one of Britain’s best-known publicists, became famous for representing celebrities such as Simon Cowell, Jade Goody, and Muhammad Ali.
Mr Clifford’s arrest last December was part of the Operation Yewtree, a police investigation that followed the allegations of abuse against Jimmy Savile.
Clifford, whose arrest has not been connected to the accusations against Savile, told reporters that during his arrest had been kept “in the dark” about the women who have accused him.
He said: “This is a nightmare for myself and my family and it has been since December, when I was arrested in a very public way. What I’ve got to do now is prove that these allegations are totally without foundation as I know them to be.”
As he arrived at Westminster magistrates’ court, the PR guru was heckled by two protesters and surrounded by journalists and photographers.
The court clerk read to him each of the 11 charges, and each time Clifford replied: “Not guilty.”
According to prosecutor Deborah Carr, if Clifford is convicted of all the allegations he could face up to six years in prison.
Judge Howard Riddle granted Clifford conditional bail and sent his case for trial at Southwark Crown Court where he is due to appear on 12th June.