European citizenship by investment options
Citizenship can be obtained in many ways – marriage, descent, and long-term employment. But if none of these are suited to your preference, applying for a golden visa is worth considering.
In Europe, for instance, many high-earning people around the world are looking into attaining EU citizenship by investment options. Aside from the remarkable speed at which this can be achieved, this option is also lucrative. This post discusses more about this opportunity.
Citizenship by investment: What is it?
Also called the “golden visa,” citizenship by investment refers to the process of securing a second passport and citizenship by putting investments in a country’s economy. This also leads to residency by investment, which allows the investor-citizen to live and work in the country permanently.
This option is perfect for people who don’t like to undergo the often long and arduous immigration methods. Golden visa holders and their families also enjoy certain benefits that holders of other visa types don’t have.
But, here’s the catch. Applicants also need to meet certain financial requirements to be approved. The prerequisites depend on the country, but basically, investors need to prove their health, good conduct, and the legality of their source of funds.
Countries often offer investment options either through real estate or government bonds. Some countries also require both. In the EU, the amount ranges from around €120,000 to €2,000,000.
European citizenship benefits
Shelling out a fortune to buy a property in another country might seem over the top. Many people usually just opt to undergo the long way of applying for permanent residence permits. But usually for discerning entrepreneurs, speed is a huge advantage. And obtaining EU citizenship by investment is easily the best way to expedite the process.
For many investor-citizens, obtaining a golden visa means enjoying the following benefits:
- Business – As a citizen of one of the European Union countries, tapping a wealth of first-world business opportunities would be a lot easier. Many European countries are also among the trillion-dollar economies, specifically Germany Italy, France, and Spain. And you can leverage your proximity to these nations for your own enterprise.
- Travel – Obtaining EU citizenship also affords you some formidable passport power. Schengen/EU members are among those on the world’s top 10 passport power list. As a resident of one of these countries, you can visit at least 150 countries without a visa.
- Education – Golden visa holders also share their citizenship privileges with their family members. This means they can also tag their family along and send their kids to prestigious European schools. Cultural, art, and business exposure also abound, giving kids a wide variety of learning opportunities.
EU countries offering golden visa options
Are you now eager to get started with your golden visa application? Are you now looking for the best country to invest your money? If yes, a recent Forbes report shows that the following nations can give you the best value for your fortune:
- Cyprus – Cyprus requires investor-citizen applicants to shell out no less than €300,000 on real estate investments for government-approved property development. The applicant must stay in the country for 12 months before filing for citizenship application and must reside in the country for seven years to apply for naturalisation.
- Malta – The Maltese government grants the golden visa to those who purchase a property worth €300,000, donate €650,000 to the National Development and Social Fund, and invest in government bonds worth €150,000. Applicants could also opt to buy properties on the island of Gozo, which are priced lower than those in other areas.
- Greece – With €250,000 investment on real estate, you can achieve your dream of living a Greek lifestyle. The good news is that properties in Greece are currently under-valued, considering the country’s recovery from its national debt crisis. As the country regains its economic strength in the next years, properties are expected to increase in price and demand.
- Portugal – In Portugal, you can be granted a golden visa by donating to the country’s art, culture, and scientific research programs and advocacies. Or you could also buy properties worth €350,000.
Obtaining a second passport and citizenship via investments is indeed a major life decision. Although this citizenship application process is faster than other methods, it still involves effort and time, especially in dealing with the paperwork. It also requires a fortune! So to get this right, seeking help from experts in EU citizenship by investment is a must. Doing this gives you access to legal and financial guidance to make the entire process smooth and stress-free.
The editorial unit