Original recipe of the week: Fabulous frozen yoghurt with chilli and a chocolate twist
Frozen yoghurt is all the rage at the moment with Snog and FRAE selling hard on the ice cream circuit, but please don’t go out to buy it…make it yourself! It’s so simple and easy to make and you can make low fat, or full fat if you wish, and with your own choice of flavours, ingredients and combinations.
A recent trip to Japan really inspired me on this recipe, although if you’re not so much a fan of frozen yoghurt you can also make this into an ice cream, but I can assure you it’s much simpler (and tastier) this way.
The chilli complements the dark chocolate perfectly, adding a widely desired warmth to the tongue and tingle to your heart. I hope you fall in love with this recipe as much as I did, totally moreish and utterly guilt-free.
Fabulous frozen yoghurt with chilli and a chocolate twist
Preparation time: 10-15 minutes
Freezer time: 3-4 hours
You will need:
2 500ml cartons of low fat natural yoghurt (or full fat)
200g dark chocolate (the darker the better) melted
100g dark chocolate chunks or crushed up chocolates you might have left over in the cupboard.
50g icing sugar
A pinch of salt
Water to loosen
1tbsp of honey
1 ½tsp chilli powder or flakes if you’re feeling daring.
- Pour the yoghurt into a bowl and gently fold in the melted dark chocolate until combined.
- Add the chopped or chunked chocolate and chilli flakes and mix together.
- Lastly, add in the icing sugar and salt to taste, and the honey and water to loosen.
- All you need to do now is make sure everything is mixed in and add it to a freezer-safe tub and leave in the freezer to set for around 3 hours.
- When ready, make sure you leave it out of the fridge for at least 10 minutes before serving, otherwise it might be too hard even for the toughest of people to cut into.
- If you wish, serve with crushed ginger nut biscuits on top to add an extra touch of zing. Delicious.