Original recipe of the week: The Green Light – Garlic and Lemon Spring Greens with Toasted Walnuts
We are so health conscious nowadays: Eat 5 a day, Be Good to Yourself, Weight Watchers…but what easier way to be healthy than to simply eat the foods that are good for us. Take green vegetables for example: packed with vitamin C, folic acid and dietary fibre, they are the perfect start for any super boost menu. Whether it be broccoli, sprouts, kale or spring greens, eat green vegetables every day for a great start to a healthy lifestyle.
We particularly love spring greens, similar to wild cabbage, and kale is delicious in soups, stews, curries and even on its own.
Garlic and Lemon Spring Greens with Toasted Walnuts
Cooking time: 10-15 minutes
What you need:
500g spring greens, roughly chopped
10g garlic butter
1 pinch of sea salt flakes
1 pinch of black pepper
- Place your chopped spring greens into a pan of boiling water and simmer for 5-10 minutes or until wilted.
- Meanwhile, place the walnuts in a frying pan and fry with a little oil until crispy and browned, and then remove from the heat.
- When the greens are done remove and strain and place into a bowl.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and gently grate the rind of one lemon over the greens. Add a squirt of lemon juice also, if you desire.
- Next, add the knob of butter – add a little extra if you wish to indulge.
- Finally add in the toasted walnuts and toss to combine.
- Serve with meat or fish as the perfect summer accompaniment…make sure you combine with a nice chilled glass of white wine too!