Original recipe of the week: Soy Mint and Cucumber Raita
We guarantee that it would be hard to find someone who doesn’t indulge in a takeaway on a Saturday night; what better way to spend the evening than settling down in front of Saturday night TV with a nice greasy takeaway? The British favourite has to be a curry. Although some like it hot…others do not, and in that case a yoghurt-based raita or sauce/dip is used to cool off burning mouths. Unfortunately for those who can’t indulge in dairy, raita is only available from takeaways in a dairy yoghurt format. But we have developed a tasty alternative to this dairy drag, using a soy-based yoghurt.
Soy yoghurt is basically soy milk with added yoghurt bacteria. Suitable for vegans, ovo-vegetarians and those who are lactose intolerant.
Soy Mint and Cucumber Raita
Preparation time: 5 minutes max
What you will need:
200 ml unsweetened soy yoghurt
½ cucumber – chopped
3 tbsp mint sauce
1 tsp icing sugar
1 tbsp garlic purée
1 pinch of salt
1 pinch of pepper
What you need to do:
- Pour the yoghurt into a mixing bowl.
- Chop the cucumber into small chunks and place in the bowl on top of the yoghurt.
- Next, add the mint sauce, sugar, salt and pepper and mix to combine.
- If you prefer the cucumber to be less chunky, you can always use a hand blender to make a smoother dip.
- Now simply serve and enjoy with a curry of your choice or keep in the fridge until needed.