Original recipe of the week: Gorgeous Gnocchi
Gnocchi is a soft dumpling made using potato, or even semolina, adding flour and egg. Originating, like most pasta dishes, in Italy it is a firm family favourite. Add whatever you like to the mix such as cheese, spinach or even chilli for an unforgettable Gnocchi meal. Be sure to make your Gnocchi the star of the dish though, keep it simple and fresh to really bring it to life.
We love adding dry fried walnuts and a super strong blue cheese such as Roquefort for tasty zing to our favourite Gnocchi.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 5-10 minutes (or until risen to the surface)
What you will need:
400g floury potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
200g strong white flour
a pinch of salt
a pinch of black pepper
a handful of sage leaves, chopped
What you need to do:
1. Place the potatoes into a saucepan and bring to the boil, leave to simmer until soft.
2. Now take off the heat and drain.
3. Mash thoroughly with a hand masher or even in a food processor if you want it super smashed.
4. When smooth, place into a bowl and make a well in the middle.
5. Now add the flour, egg, pepper, salt and chopped sage leaves, and mix to combine.
6. When the mixture forms into a dough, simply separate into three pieces and place onto a floured surface.
7. Roll each piece into a sausage shape, and cut it into approximately ten dumplings.
8. Now bring to the boil a pan of slightly salted water.
9. Place the Gnocchi into the pan and leave to cook for ten minutes or until risen to the surface. Cook these in batches of ten to give a even cooking time.
10. When cooked removed from the heat and drain. Serve with whatever you wish… Just remember what we said!