US official killed in Benghazi in protests over Muhammad film

US official killed in Benghazi in protests over Muhammad film
US official killed in Benghazi in protests over Muhammad film

An armed mob angered over an American-made film, deemed offensive to Islam’s Prophet Muhammad, attacked and set fire to the US Consulate in Benghazi, killing a State Department officer.

Following fierce clashes at the compound, armed protesters attacked and set fire to the building, according to the Libyan security sources. Witnesses say the attack left much of the consulate burned. 

Rocket-propelled grenades were fired at the consulate from a nearby farm, said Abdel-Monem Al-Hurr, a spokesman for the Libyan Interior Ministry’s security commission. “The Libyan security forces came under heavy fire, and we were not prepared for the intensity of the attack,” Hurr said. At least three members of the security forces were taken away in an ambulance, Reuters reported.

“One American official was killed and another injured in the hand,” Libya’s Deputy Interior Minister Wanis al-Sharef told AFP. “The other staff members were evacuated and are safe and sound.” Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has confirmed that one official from her agency was killed in the attack. Clinton said some have sought to justify “this vicious behaviour” as a response to inflammatory material posted on the Internet, and noted that the US deplores any intentional effort to denigrate the religious beliefs of others.

The attack occurred in the eastern Libyan city of Benghazi, and came just hours after protesters stormed the US Embassy in Cairo, Egypt’s capital, in outrage over an amateur American-made film they say insulted the Prophet Muhammad. Over 2,000 protesters stormed the US Embassy in Cairo, the first time ever that the US embassy in Egypt had been attacked or breached.

The US embassy in Cairo condemned “the continuing efforts by misguided individuals to hurt the religious feelings of Muslims – as we condemn efforts to offend believers of all religions.” Ahmed Ben Helli, the Arab League deputy secretary general, has also condemned the film, saying it “contained insults against the Prophet Muhammad” and “was denounced by Christians and Muslims” across the Arab world.

The two incidents came on the 11th anniversary of the September 11 attacks in the US.

Fadi Elhusseini

More in Uncategorised

For Nicole Junkermann, women’s sport is approaching a fundamentally different commercial model

The editorial unit

A look into today’s smart offices and why it could work for you

The editorial unit

Top ten best dental clinics in Turkey

The editorial unit

What UK consumers need to know about terms and playthrough rules

The editorial unit

New research shows that theatre streaming is not a threat to in-person attendance

The editorial unit

The rise of micro-leisure: Redefining uk entertainment in the digital age

The editorial unit

MLS playoff picture 2026: Eastern and Western conference standings and predictions

The editorial unit

Ten lifestyle trends that will define 2026

The editorial unit

BBC Proms 2026: Alexandra Dariescu with The Hallé and Kahchun Wong

Alexandra Fletcher