Original recipe of the week: Butternut squash and chilli soup
Liven up your taste buds with our deliciously rich and creamy soup. Packed full of goodness and with one hell of a kick, this soup is sure to awaken your senses. What better than curling up on the sofa after a long cold day with a bowl of steaming delicious soup? Indulge!
Butternut squash and chilli soup
Cooking time: 1 hour and 30 minutes
1 large butternut squash
1 large white onion – chopped roughly
3 cloves of garlic – chopped roughly
2 large potatoes
1/2 small red chilli – finely chopped
1/2 pint of vegetable stock
2 tbsp crème fraiche
1 tsp of fresh thyme – finely chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
What you need to do:
- Preheat your oven to 200oC on the fan option. Cut the butternut squash in half and drizzle with some oil. Season and place in a large ovenproof dish to roast with the onion, garlic and thyme. Cover with foil and roast for 45 minutes.
- While this is roasting you can peel and cut the potatoes into chunks and put on to boil.
- After 45 minutes remove the foil from the squash and continue to roast for a further 15 minutes or until golden and soft. Remove from the oven and leave to cool slightly.
- When the potatoes have boiled and are also soft, remove from the heat and drain.
- Now you can scoop out the flesh of the squash and place in a food processor with the potatoes, garlic and onion from the dish.
- Blend roughly and place into a saucepan.
- Add the stock to the blended mix along with the red chilli and a little more thyme.
- Bring all this to the boil and leave to simmer for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes you’re ready to remove from the heat and serve – but not before you stir in the crème fraiche to add a creamy note and season to taste.