Original recipe of the week: Macaroni Pasty
Yes, you read that right. Our recipe this week is for a macaroni cheese pasty!
Not your traditional pasty by any means, this version really means business of the American kind. Redesigned or hybrid classics are really hitting home recently and the pasty is not one to miss out.
Easy enough to make and eat, this is a great recipe if you’ve got some leftover pasta and pastry. (Not so great if you’re on a low fat diet…)
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
What you will need:
1 portion leftover mac and cheese
1 rasher smoked bacon, cut into small chunks
1 clove garlic, sliced
1 egg yolk
1 piece puff pastry, cut into a dinner-sized circle.
Splash of whole milk in a cup
What you need to do:
- Preheat your oven to 200°C.
- Fry the garlic and bacon in a pan.
- Once cooked, add in the leftover pasta and egg yolk, mix, then season to taste.
- Lay the pastry flat on a greased baking tray, then place the pasta mix onto one half of the circle, leaving ½cm rim around the edge.
- Pull the other half of the pastry over the top to meet the opposite edge. Wet your finger in the milk and run it over the inside of the pastry rim, then press the top down to stick.
- Finally make three shallow slits across the top of a pasty and brush with the remainder of the milk to glaze.
- Place in the oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove and leave to cool slightly, then dig in!