Original recipe of the week: Healthy Burgers
Its not often you see a recipe for a healthy burger, so we thought we would treat you. As burgers are really trending at the moment in all shapes, sizes and flavours, these are sure to take your fancy. With just the right amount of heat from the chilli, tang from the coriander and freshness from the lemon peeping through, seconds are definitely on the cards – so make sure you make lots!
Prep time: 5-10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
What you will need:
500g fresh lean minced beef
1 handful of fresh coriander
1 fresh red chill, chopped
1 ripe avocado, peeled and de-stoned
100g walnut pieces
1 tbsp plain flour
1 garlic clove
1 medium-sized white onion
Pinch of salt
Pinch of black pepper
4-5 slices of a cheese of your choice
What you need to do:
- Preheat your oven to 200°C. Add the onion, garlic, chilli, walnuts and coriander to a food processor and blitz until finely chopped.
- Add in the flour, minced beef and avocado removed from the skin and give the mix a further quick blitz.
- When combined in a rough mix, season with the salt and pepper and you’re ready to go.
- Shape four or five patties then place onto an oiled baking sheet, well separated from each other.
- Place in the oven for ten minutes, then remove from the oven and place a slice of cheese on top of each burger and return to the oven for a further five minutes so that the cheese can melt.
- Remove from the oven to cool and then get creative – add salad, mayonnaise and a little mustard to a sourdough bap if you want to be traditional, or if you’re an innovator add any combination you like. Burgerlicious!