Everything you need to know about email verification
With the rising popularity of email marketing, a new market has been created: it’s that of email verification services. Email marketing plays a pivotal role across industries in today’s times. Be it banking, infrastructure, e-commerce or even retail for that matter; they all rely on email marketing heavily to send their messages across. Lately, email marketing has also been adopted by business-to-business workers. With the heightened demand on the market, there is a need to foolproof this marketing technique. This is where email verification services come into play.
Decoding the process of email verification
To verify email as valid, there is a variety of checking steps that are undertaken. Let us take a look at what are the tests run to mark an email ID as deliverable.
- One of the first aspects that are checked is whether or not the format of the email is correct.
- The next test that the email validation software will proceed on is to see whether or not the address looks genuine. A lot of times, the presence of numbers and letters that don’t make any sense will cause the address to be marked as invalid.
- Email addresses are often created on temporary domains. These will not benefit an organisation as, beyond a certain point, emails sent to them would start bouncing. Email addresses created on temporary domains do not qualify as valid. At this point, the email verifier also determines whether the address was created on webmail, like Gmail or Yahoo, for instance.
- MX records on the domain are checked next. The absence of MX records signifies that the address cannot receive emails and hence fails the test. This is amongst the first technical tests that are undertaken.
- The presence of an SMTP server also plays a major role in marking an email address as deliverable. If an email verification service is successful in reaching out to the SMTP server, the email address is marked as verified. Thereafter, the email address is checked and we find out if it bounces or not.
- Another major point to be verified is whether the domain is accepting emails from all email addresses. Sometimes there are privacy policies entwined which prevent this from happening.
Though one cannot ignore its importance, marking an email address as valid is a time-consuming process. Check your email list today for better email marketing results.
The editorial unit