Original recipe of the week: spicy aubergine dip
Inspired by our travels of the world and, of course, our love for the purple vegetable, we thought we would share with you a healthy, easy-to-make dip that’s great for all the family.
Sweet, savoury, spicy and creamy – this really ticks all the boxes. The chilli adds just the right amount of heat to this rich dip, which is suitable for vegetarians and dairy-free folk too!
Spicy aubergine dip
Prep & cooking time: 1 hour
What you will need:
1 fresh whole aubergine
6 garlic bulbs
1 handful of coriander
1 small chilli
3 tbsp soy yoghurt
2 tsp nigella seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp salt and 1 tsp black pepper
2 tsp fenugreek powder
What you need to do:
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Score six slits lengthways into the aubergine flesh, and place one garlic clove in each.
- Place the aubergine into an ovenproof dish and cover with oil, salt, pepper, fenugreek, turmeric and the nigella seeds, and place in the oven for 45 minutes or until cooked.
- When removed from the oven and cooling, peel back the skin and remove the top of the aubergine. Be careful to keep the garlic cloves!
- Now place the flesh of the aubergine, garlic, coriander, chilli and yoghurt into a food processor and blitz until smooth.
- All you need to do now is pour and serve! Enjoy with bread sticks or crudités of your choice.