Original recipe of the week: Lentils with chorizo and spinach
Hearty, wholesome and delicious – the three main principles of comfort food and all can be said about wondrous lentils, especially when paired with something as yummy as chorizo. If you’re not a meat fan, add extra garlic and a dash of fresh red chilli for more zing. Don’t try to make this if you’re in a rush. It takes a bit of time and love but in the end it’s worth it!
Cook time: 20 minutes
What you will need:
2 ½ cups dried red lentils, rinsed well
1 clove garlic, chopped
2 sprigs of thyme, leaves removed
4 handfuls fresh spinach
80g chorizo sausage, diced
Salt and pepper to taste
What you need to do:
- Put the rinsed lentils in a large saucepan and add cold water until just covering the lentils. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer, adding water as necessary to prevent drying out.
- In a small saucepan gently fry the chorizo with the garlic and thyme leaves on a medium heat until cooked through and golden, then remove from the heat.
- When the lentils are almost soft, add the chorizo mix.
- Once fully soft add in half of the spinach, stir and once wilted add in the rest of the spinach.
- Once this is all cooked down, season to taste and serve.